Sunday, July 20, 2014

Topher Larkin - Charlie Magazine "50 Most Progressives" Of Charleston!

I am so honoured to have been recently featured in Charleston's Charlie Magazine recently as of the Top "50 Most Progressive".  

In just shy under a year, I've somehow made a mark in my new home city and couldn't be more excited to use this as a platform to help launch some projects that I've been slowly developing.

I would go into detail but I'm planning a little anniversary reflection blog for the year (so stayed tuned for that), however, what I can say is that I really didn't know what to expect from this town and despite some recent heartbreaks, frustrations, and changes, I can truly say I've enjoyed every minute here.

My advice to my loyal fans?  Sounds cliche but take every opportunity that comes your way -whether you are scared or unsure of the outcome, try it out first and see where it takes you.  Always strive to be a person that you want others to want t be around because of who you really are, and most importantly, find a good source of friends that you can lean on for support.

Enjoy the article!




“Everything begins with dialogue,” says Topher Larkin, recent Charleston-transplant and an expert at making exciting things happen.

So don’t be shy: walk on up and say hello.

Not only is Topher a Prevention Outreach & Quality Management Coordinator at Lowcountry AIDS Services, he is also involved with World AIDS Day and We Are Family, a local group providing support and resources for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex and straight ally youth.

“My goal is to get the community involved so we can help each other out,” he says. “We accomplish more when we work together, so I always like to see groups partner up.”

Topher was raised in Tampa, studied theater and communications in Boston and worked for many years in L.A.’s entertainment industry on public relations campaigns for big films like “Brokeback Mountain” and “Lost in Translation.”
He hopes to see arts organizations, businesses and the city working hand-in-hand to make Charleston a place where all people can live and love with acceptance. “If you can see how your cause relates to someone else’s goals, that’s where you begin,” he explains. “Look at the positive benefits of working together and engage each other in that conversation.”
When he’s not busy bringing people together, he can usually be found on the water – living in California introduced him to surfing and he’s an aspiring sailor – or rehearsing for a play in one of our local theaters.

“I was in RENT with Flowertown Players back in January and it reminded me how much I love theater,” he says. “There is so much great theater in Charleston and I can’t wait to discover all of it.”

In fact, he credits studying theater with much of his approach to life and work today.

“Theater taught me about the importance of collaborative efforts,” he says. “And it taught me this important life lesson: if you want something to happen, you have to jump in and make it happen.”

Words by: Jason Zwiker
Photography by: Mark Stetler





Topher Larkin - 50 Most Progressives of Charleston!

No comments: